Monday, April 16, 2012

These Are My Children

I am a proud momma to two Labby kids. My kids are Vixen and Roger. Vix is a year and a half old, and Roger is almost one year (birthday boy celebrates next month!)
New storm door = infinite opportunities to view world. and lick window.



Last August, Craig was on a business trip down in Charlotte, NC. On his way down, he drove through South Boston, VA. As he passed a small farm he noticed a sign by the side of the road that said "Free Puppies!".  He called me up and told me about the sign. I told him to stop in and check on his way back home. So he did. And when he called me again he said "There are two puppies, a male and a female. What should I do?"
"Do you see the parents?" I replied
"The mom is here, she's a black Lab. I have no idea where the dad is. Puppies are kinda cute though. What do you want me to do?"
".... take the male. I'll see you when get home."

I eat squeaky toys.
So Craig pulls up to my parents house (we were housesitting for them.... fine time to get an unhousebroken puppy huh) and walks in with this little ball of trembling black fur. His head was too big for his body and he was terrified. We set him down and he crawled under the dining room table to hide.
I asked Craig what we should call him.
"Well, I thought of two names in the car. 'Bootsy Boy' because of his little white feet, or 'Roger'"
"I would rather roll over and die before naming a dog Bootsy Boy. His name is Roger."
And that is how our Roger (aka Ro, Buddy Ro, The Ro, Muffin and all sorts of other cutesy poo names) came to be in our little world.


I am the queen of this house. Even the sun worships me.
Vixen was our second adoptee. She came to us from Richmond Animal League, one of the finest animal shelters I've encountered.  Around Christmastime we started noticing that Roger was becoming lethargic and listless. He wasn't interested in playing with us, he really only wanted to sleep and annoy us. We tried exercising him more, which was helpful, but not quite what he needed. Now, Craig works from home, but travels quite a bit, and I teach so I'm not at home during the day. And it occurred to me what was wrong with the Ro.

Roger was lonely.

So we started talking about getting another dog. I've always wanted to fill a home with dogs and children, and since we have no children (yet) why not get another dog? We have the room, we have the means and we have the love. So we started shopping for a playmate for Roger.

Wha??
We found Vixen in late January at RAL. But unfortunately Craig was getting ready to go on a week-long business trip, so we decided to wait to get her when he came back. We got her in February, as the first snow of the season was falling on Richmond. We also got her the same day we bought our grill, so my Jeep was really crowded.

Roger and Vixen hit it off like peanut butter and jelly. They are inseparable. Seriously, if I take Roger outside and don't bring Vixen she pitches a FIT.


And what's more important? There is plenty of love to go around.


You coming back, Mom?
Til next time,
-Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment